Deeply steeped in tradition through all his growing up years, it was a real eye opener, when during his college days NILADRI KUMAR got exposure to the new culture music followed by generation next. The attempt to relate to the likings of this generation literally changed his outlook towards music, compelling him to extend the boundaries of his musical realm through innovative experiments that his understanding of diverse Indian musical gharana styles with world music styles.
The aspiration to maintain a fine harmony between tradition and modernity that is in sync with the sensibilities of a global audience further fuelled Niladri Kumar's creative passion and enthusiasm, leading him to craft a truly zany and zestful sound in the form of a ZITAR. This fiery red, five stringed, electric sitar has added a truly unique dimension to Niladri Kumar's artistic expression that has mesmerised audiences the world over.
Today Niladri Kumar's vast musical realm encompasses of:
- Fusion albums IF(Winner of MTV Immies 2003), SITARGAZE, PRIORITY& TOGETHER with Talvin Singh.
- Performance in GRAMMY AWARD winning album 2009, GLOBAL DRUM PROJECT with Mickey Hart and Ustad Zakir Hussain
- Over 10 International albums along with guest performances in albums such as FLOATING POINT by jazz guitar legend John Mclaughlin, which was also nominated for Grammy awards in the Jazz section.
- Performances at numerous prestigious Festivals, Venues and Concert halls, both solo or with legendary Ustad Zakir Hussain and other renowned international musicians.
- The distinct 'zing' at corporate events of reputed companies.
- And last but not the least the Indian Film Industry where he has been the favourite of numerous Indian Film Music Directors such as Laxmikant-Pyarelal,AR Rahman,Vishal Bharadwaj, Anu Malik, Pritam and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy who are forever seeking the thrill of experimenting with new sounds. Some of his film works are CHUP CHUP KE from Bunty aur Babli,BHEEGI BHEEGi SI from Gangster, ALVIDA from Life in a Metro, CRAZY KIYA RE from Dhoom 2,NAINA from Omkara, DHEERE JALNA from Paheli, TERE NAINA from My Name Is Khan, AWARA from Saath Khoon Maaf and Title track MAKE SOME NOISE from Desi Boyz.
Niladri Kumar is the chosen brand ambassador for reputed international brands like AKG by HARMAN,tc electronic and Sonodyne.
"Fusion music does not follow any guidelines, therefore it gives the artiste great liberty to experiment especially when performing with other talented musicians. It is truly an all time high, when each member performs the best of his individual, unique talent within the unity and oneness of the ensemble to complement each other and I have been lucky to experience this magic!"
Niladri Kumar with a twinkle in his eyes.